When mould attacks

No person in their right mind would want a home, infested with nasty, creepy, crawling fungus that just couldn’t understand our frustration with it. Unless we do something to relieve ourselves from this malicious infestation, we would never understand the true meaning of ‘home sweet home’.

Mould does not only smell bad, but it is also the source of many unpleasant diseases, some of them even lethal! The thing that makes the common mould so dangerous and difficult to combat, is its uncanny ability to spread and multiply and increase in size, virtually without limits. This can pose serious dangers to your home, as the mould practically destroys any sort of inorganic (and organic) matter that falls to its charms.

Mouldy Bath Tap

Image taken by DrJohnBullas, Flickr

What is a mould?

A mould is basically a type of fungus that is green, blue or gray in color; does not produce fruit bodies and like most mushrooms it is found in dank, dark places – like your basement! Moulds are not actually one living organism, like we are.

Each mould is constructed of thousands among millions of little, microscopic cells, that could perfectly survive without being in close proximity to each other. They draw nutrients by decomposing left-over organic matter, and like settling on inorganic matter as well – a support for that is known as the ‘spore stage’.

Any fully matured fungus can go into such a stage, where countless spores are released into the atmosphere; each a potential mould to be. That is why mould are especially difficult to get rid of, because if you so much as miss one spore; your home holds the risk of reinventing its mouldy foundations as soon as that spore finds a proper habitat.

Getting rid of moulds!

Getting rid of mould is actually way more difficult than it sounds. As a matter of fact it is nearly impossible. Once a solid mycelium is formed, the mould is nice and ready to settle for good, and despite your efforts it will grow until it has taken over everything that you hold dear in life. Another option is hiring a professional deep cleaner. That is why the only way to truly eliminate mould, is by destroying its comfortable habitat. Here are some practice ways in which to do this, no chemicals involved.

Get rid of all the moisture in your home

If you are having mould troubles, this is most likely because you have a serious moisture problem, that needs to be dealt with ASAP! Fungi love water – so naturally the less water you give your pet moulds the quicker they will leave you alone! The first thing you need to do is to locate the source; it could be anything from a busted water pipe to bad drainage solutions during rainy season, Find the root of the dampness and correct it, even if it means spending some money on plumbers.

Ventilate your home entirely

Once you have dealt with the excess moisture in your house, it is time to air out all the water that is still trapped and could cause mould to reemerge. Remember, the better job you do now the bigger the chances are that the mould will not come back, and if by some case the mould does come back, you would need repeat the process all over again.

Insulate your home

The easiest way to prevent any future mould from forming is by professionally insulating your home. You can do both exterior and interior insulation, although it is more a matter of where rather than how. The basement, the bathroom and the kitchen should be insulated first, and then if there is any money left in the family budget – the rest of the house.


Connie Jameson has years of experience in the various home improvement and DIY projects. She is working for End Of Tenancy Cleaners, a professional cleaning agency in London. She knows exactly how to deal with humidity and other household problems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *